Thursday, September 27, 2012

Gutting the house

We knew we had asbestos in the bathrooms and laundry but we thought that was probably it. Fairly standard for a Canberra house built in the 60's. But no - we were in for a less than pleasant surprise to discover that previous owners had loved asbestos so much that most of the extensions had this glorious substance involved in one way or another.

All the cladding and eaves. Not the insulation, although that also had to be removed in a similar fashion as they weren't quite sure what it was. We later found a bill that confirmed it was just normal, non toxic fibre fill.

So the next step is to get rid of it safely.

Just a hint of the work done -

 Our bedroom

 View from laundry through to bathroom - all walls here were asbestos and completely removed -

 Matt's room - easiest way to get to wall insulation is to rip out the walls... (even my beautifully painted purple wall)

 Meaghan's room - Sonic hedgehog survives for now -

 Outside upstairs - more asbestos - fairly breezy  -

Ducts and bags of insulation -
and the backyard - too late to turn back now-
 Not much left to be knocked down.

No comments:

Post a Comment